Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Federal 1500's on a Citabria (Read 10952 times)
3bounce and down
No Posts Yet

Ski Flyer

Federal 1500's on a Citabria
Sep 20th, 2013 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Will they work? Selling my Champ that I've used them on before and buying a 7ECA. GW on the ECA is 1650 I believe. Anyone out there used this combo? Anyone even looking at this site this time of year? Won't be long now.

Larry Homan
Sigourney, IA

IP Logged

cubdriver2

Ski Flyer

Re: Federal 1500's on a Citabria
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Only the rest of the loose nuts who like winter look here this time of year.
Who else wants to check in and respond?

Glenn

YouTube  
IP Logged

3bounce and down
No Posts Yet

Ski Flyer

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Amen to that brother. I've been a house hermit too much during the past couple of weeks thanks to the heat blizzard we had. At least it's cool enough to go out and check the mail now.

Larry Homan
Sigourney, IA

IP Logged

badger bob
No Posts Yet

Ski Flyer

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
your 1500 mite be a small but mabe thay can be made wider with that white plastic  stuff. you mite try to find a set from a super cub  (2000 ?) ive got a  champ (7aca) and want to put it on a set of a1500,s  skis this winter  . But I also have  1/4 of a l4 and 1/2 of a home bilt pa18-95 and a pair of edo 3120,s that I just bought last week. hay Glenn do you fly the narrows  at indian lake this time of the year? we like your videos on youtube. Bob

IP Logged

cubdriver2

Ski Flyer

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Bob I go thru the narrows everytime I'm near there. No video but heres some pix of summer fun.

http://www.seaplaneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&p=17389#p17389

Glenn

YouTube  
IP Logged

cubdriver2

Ski Flyer

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2013 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
cubdriver2 wrote on Sep 27th, 2013 at 2:34pm:
Bob I go thru the narrows everytime I'm near there. No video but heres some pix of summer fun.

http://www.seaplaneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&p=17389#p17389

or this one

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?45456-Weekend-Fun&p=583765#post5837...

Glenn

YouTube  
IP Logged

3bounce and down
No Posts Yet

Ski Flyer

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Eastern Iowa got it's first good snow last night and it will be adding to much of the upper Midwest. Now I've got that itch that needs scratching. I still have my Champ and skis but since the Champ is for sale and I'm trying to keep it clean and intact in case someone comes to look at it, I'm hesitant to ski fly it. However, in the other corner sits the Citabria. Although I don't have any attachment hardware on the plane yet I'm still pondering whether I can use the skis that I have. They are Federal A-1500A's and have the wider plastic bottoms. Originally they are rated for a GW of 1500 lbs and I presume that is still the case. I just wanted some input from others who have put skis on Citabrias or maybe used the 1500's a little outside of their envelope. Don't have to incriminate yourself here though. Never know when the Friendly Aviation Administration is creeping on this site. Probably I will sell my skis and buy new ones but then that starts a whole new set of 'what-if's' to contend with.

Larry Homan
Sigourney, IA

IP Logged

Eric Hutchins
YaBB Moderator

I hunt, fish, and fly
a Scout

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
You say they have the wider plastic bottoms. Were the skis widened or are they the standard 1500 width which are narrow, say 7 1/2-8"? The 1500's I had on several Champs were 12" wide which means they had different bottoms installed or came from Federal that way. Then I added UHV plastic to that. If you are flying off of wind blown lakes and such being under ski'd isn't a bad thing. Heavy snow on a stuble field or grass runway or the way the lake conditions are now here in MN requires a bigger ski. The 7ECA Citabria is a tail heavy a/c and has marginal power when loaded. With all the snow in the upper Midwest and Great Lakes region your skis should sell fast and for top dollar. I would look for 2000 Aero or Federals. I sold a set of 1800's last fall that were on my Super Cub. I went all the way up to 3000's. I don't regret it. Mt T.O. distance is reduced and flotation so good I can land in slush and stay on top to fish. If you see some 1800's I'd snap them up. I think they are on the TC for your a/c. Defining the conditions and the plane the skis will be installed are pretty important considerations. Contact Troy at Aero ski in Brooten MN. You will be suprised that a new set of skis can be aquired at not all that much more than what the used ones are selling for. They are exactly like the Federals and the quality the best in the industry. Here are some of the models they have off an alaskan distributor. I assume these prices are higher than for the lower 48 due to shipping.
http://aeroski.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Aero-Straight-Skis.pdf

Aero Ski Mfg Company
0 Reviews
(320) 346-2285
48010 260th St, Brooten, MN 56316

If you need a reason to fly then sell your plane. Way to many pilots out there with a bowl of fruit sitting on their cowling.

IP Logged

3bounce and down
No Posts Yet

Ski Flyer

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Eric, these are the 'A' version which is wider than the standard. I think the ski was about 10" plus the plastic which made them wider still. I measured them a while back but I didn't write down the measurements and my memory recall seem to malfunction some. I have also looked at the Aero Skis and have considered them as a viable option. My snow flying is off of the unplowed portion of the local runway and then other grass fields and occasionally a corn or bean field if the snow is deep enough. I like the concept of the Trick-air skis for all around versatility but there are several negatives there. They are expensive, I need to change tires for ski use and their mounting axle prevents the wheel pants from going on in the summer so either no pants or remove the axle which makes for quite a project each year.

Larry Homan
Sigourney, IA

IP Logged

Eric Hutchins
YaBB Moderator

I hunt, fish, and fly
a Scout

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2013 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
I'd use them in a heartbeat. If you look at the sq inches of ski and compare them to 1800 or 2000's they are not far off. Save your $ and buy gas. The skis should be fine

If you need a reason to fly then sell your plane. Way to many pilots out there with a bowl of fruit sitting on their cowling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top