Normal Topic Intro (Read 3289 times)
BillRusk
Some Posts

Supercub on Aeroski 2000,
and J-3 on fed 1500's

Intro
Jan 6th, 2003 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Hi all. My name is Bill Rusk. I live in Northern IL on a runway. Poplar Grove on the map. Its about 15 miles NNE of Rockford IL. I have access to a J-3 65hp on Federal 1500's that the owner, Glenn MGowan, and I have had on skis a few times in the last two years. We have not had much snow here. I own a C-170B with federal 2500's that I hope to get up on skis, for the first time, as soon as we get some snow around here. I'm a new guy on skis and ready to learn. The little time I have has sure been fun.

Bill

IP Logged

Jim Crane
No Posts Yet

Re: Intro
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2003 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
HI Bill:

I was into your airport last summer, I was trying out a 7gcbc that was for sale not too far away at a little grass strip called Lehmans Landing.  The guys name was Matt Gaeta. I didnt buy it, picked up a Scout instead. Nice place you got there. Pretty flat though.

Jim Crane

IP Logged

BillRusk
Some Posts

and J-3 on fed 1500's

Maine?
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2003 at 2:29am
Print Post  

Jim,

If you're from Maine you were a long way from home when you were here. Hope you didn't travel all this way to look at a plane then walk away. That can be a real bummer. Yea it's flat here and we have no snow. I told the wife we were going to have to move further north. She didn't seem too hep on that idea. Actually, there has been more snow south of here than north. You guys up in the NE seem to be getting it all. The big ski fly-in at Oshkosh is coming up soon but if we don't get some white stuff it will be a wheel plane fly-in.

Bill

IP Logged

Dave Griffith
No Posts Yet

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2003 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Bill, I have my J-3 at Geneseo,IL(3G8).Poplar grove Airmotive did some great cylinder work for me.I'm waiting for snow as well.Blame the no snow on me.I bought a set of Federal 1500s for my Cub last year! I remeber doing some si flying with a Cub in the 70s back when it snowed in the winter.  Dave

IP Logged

BillRusk
Some Posts

and J-3 on fed 1500's

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2003 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Dave

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to go out of town. I had to look on the map to find you. Glad you had a good experience with the shop. I've not had much work done there but it sure is handy to have them there. We have a set of Fed 1500's on the cub. They seem to work well and the stub axles are a life(back)saver. We use em to get out of the hangar and down the taxiway (usually plowed) to the snow.
I spoke to a experienced cub ski guy at Brodhead last year and he seemed to prefer the SC series of skis. Shorter and fatter I guess. I'm still learning. Brodhead is FEB 1 and is a great ski fly-in if we have any snow. It would be a bit of a flight for you but hope to meet you there.

Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top