Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Old Friend of JCRowles (Read 7176 times)
Frodo
No Posts Yet

Ski Flyer

Old Friend of JCRowles
Feb 25th, 2008 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Let's see if he remembers.  I will give a few hints.  25years ago he taught me to fly taildraggers in an L-19 on skis.  This was when I was in college and had joined CAP.  We later field modified that plane with a Qtip prop when I screwed up a wheel landing. Huh  I went into the Air Force and will retire next month.  Hard to believe how fast time flies (pun intended).

Now let's see if John remembers.  /*Jeopardy music begins*/

IP Logged

jcrowles
Some Posts

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Re: Old Friend of JCRowles
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
I may be getting older, but my memory isn't shot yet !!!  This has got to be Colonel  Eric Jessen.  You've  come a long way from the airsick  kid in the Birdog when you began the check out so many years ago. It was a struggle for you and the stone wall you ran up against trying to get in the U.S. Airforce.  But you overcame those obsticles and moved up to F-15's and F-16's as I understand it. You can be proud of what you accomplished .  I hope you are considering moving back to God's country after retirement. We're still flying  and if you can't afford a plane, I 'll  let you play with one of mine !! 
You  Done Me Proud , Eric !! It was worth the effort.            John

IP Logged

Frodo
No Posts Yet

Ski Flyer

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 12:32am
Print Post  
John,

Yea, it was quite an adventure.  I flew just about everything but the F-16 and F-15 (unless you count back seat rides).  I was just tallying them up for my retirement - T-37 Tweet, T-38 Talon, A-10 Warthog, OV-10 Bronco, C-21 Learjet, F-4 Phantom, Predator (if that counts as flying), and the F-117 Stealth.

I already had my fini flight since the Stealth is being retired.  I now fly with the aeroclub here at Holloman AFB near Alamogordo, NM.  I mostly fly low level surveys of our military training routes in a C-310, but I just got my CFI and will probably start teaching.

As for post retirement, I hope to stay here.  We have about 12 acres in the mountains and started to raise beef (just had our first calf about 2 weeks ago).  We also raise chickens and have very lazy horses.  My wife and I love it here and think it is a good place for the kids - not crowded and good hunting.

I used to have a C-185, but with kids and all I had to sell it.  That was a great airplane!  From what I read, it sounds like you are still at the same place.  Do you still have your Stinson and Airmaster?

Eric

IP Logged

jcrowles
Some Posts

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Eric :  I'm still in the same place. I'm running about 50 stock cows that will start calving in about 10 days. Stretched the runway to 4200 Ft. We've had a lot of snow this winter so I only plowed about 2800 Ft for wheeled aircraft. I need to thin my planes out as my wife says I don't need all of them ! I guess she is right, and I can't complain as she really hasn't given me much " Guff " through the years about my  " Plane " addiction.  I have 4 [ counting a project] Cessna Airmasters, my original PA-20 Pacer, a Stinson 108-3, and 2  Taylorcraft  Model - 20 Ranchwagons [ 4 place with Continental  0-470's and constant speed props. Only about 7 left flying out of 18 manufactured. I have advertised a couple of times, but the market is bad now and the only responses I got were from someone who wanted to steal them. Don't need that !! I go thru  New Mexico now and then going to Las Vegas so maybe we can get together and go over old times. Are your folks still alive and here in Turtle River ???      John

Give me a shout here for a little more privacy --  jcrowles@paulbunyan.net

IP Logged

WWhunter

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Welcome Frodo!!  Great to hear a Mn guy made it good in the Air Force.
I meet John a couple of years ago and tried to steal one of his planes. Actually I would rather he give me one! Grin  JK
Nice guy, but don't tell him I said so. Wouldn't want him to get a big head.
Keith

A Country Boy Will Survive!!

IP Logged

jcrowles
Some Posts

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 1:11am
Print Post  
WWHUNTER :      Keith  !!    I thought you were enroute to D.C. for your wife's new assignment !!  They didn't throw you in jail in Hawaii ,  did they ??? You got to get home and fly your Champ. I flew over your place the other day and I could hear your Champ crying. She thinks you abandoned her !!! Springs almost here and the snow is dwindleing .           John

IP Logged

WWhunter

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
John my friend,
Yes, we are in route to the DC area as I type this. Left Hawaii and all that warm weather. We flew into LA and picked up the car...drove to AZ to see my daughter and crew in Huachuca City, then up to Prescott to see the son at Embry-Riddle. Left there on Monday and got to Fort Bragg, NC on Thursday. Staying here with the other daughter and grandson until she gets deployed to Aphganistan. Her unit leaves the 14th of March. Then we are headed to Falls Church, Va. to find a place to live before Val reports for her new duty station. I'll be headed back to MN as soon as everything gets settled.
Hope to see you when I get back. Tell the wife I said hello.

PS...I've been hearing both of my planes crying! Cry Can't wait to get back in the saddle!!

IP Logged

Eric Hutchins
YaBB Moderator

I hunt, fish, and fly
a Scout

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Keith, everyone quit flying over my way. I need someone to go places with. Get back quick.

If you need a reason to fly then sell your plane. Way to many pilots out there with a bowl of fruit sitting on their cowling.

IP Logged

WWhunter

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Eric,

I'll be back as soon as I can. Whats the matter with all those MN boy's? Gas get too expensive? Or the cold getting to them?

I'm in NC for a week and going to the Special Ops museum today. After that may browse a few gunshops.Smiley

Are you floatinh the Champ this summer? I sure loved the float flying but wished I could keep it closer to the house instead of at Dad's.

Keith

IP Logged

Eric Hutchins
YaBB Moderator

I hunt, fish, and fly
a Scout

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
No the edo 1400's will be for sale. I have a trip on wheels to Churchill again to see the bears before they are gone.

If you need a reason to fly then sell your plane. Way to many pilots out there with a bowl of fruit sitting on their cowling.

IP Logged

WWhunter

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Eric,

Cry Cry Cry Now who am I going to fly with!  Boo Hoo!   LOL

I'm sure you won't have any problem selling those floats. But, my opinion....for what its worth....I think you'll regret it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top