Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Greetings from Alaska (Read 4019 times)
BeeMan
No Posts Yet

C170B

Greetings from Alaska
Oct 22nd, 2010 at 5:38am
Print Post  
There is snow in the Chugach Mountains east of Anchorage and that makes me hopeful we will have a good ski flying season in Southcentral Alaska. I fly a C170B on straight Airglass 2500 skis. I'm looking for a suitable tail ski although there is a small wrinkle. I have a Gar-Aero tundra tailwheel that has a wide fork on my Scott 3200. I don't think anyone makes a penetration tail ski for the 4.00x4 wheel/tire and I would have to get some bushings approved to use a narrower tail wheel. Anyone run into this before?

Bill Burgess
'52 C170B
N2575D

IP Logged

BeeMan
No Posts Yet

C170B

Re: Greetings from Alaska
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Argh! It has been raining on and off for 2 days. There is a coating of ice on everything including my poor airplane. I hope it turns cold and snows soon or there will be sad faces all over Alaska.

Bill

IP Logged

ak2711c
No Posts Yet

Ski Flyer

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I have had good luck with modifying the Aero T3000 tail ski to fit the Gar Aero or Bushwheel tail wheel.  I was even able to get field approvals on them however that was before the crack down on field approvals.  The down side is the tire penitraites through the ski so far that it creates a lot of drag in the snow. Another factor is most of the time tail skis ride under the surface of the snow by a little bit so you have a lot of drag from the bulkiness of the tail wheel.  Every client I have that had one ended up taking it off.  They just kept their eye out for a good deal on a used stock tail wheel and mounted the ski to that.  Now to put the tail ski on all they have to do is pull the main spring bolt and steering cables and swap out the whole assembly.  I finally got mine set up that way last winter.  Before that I would swap out my fork and tire every year.  What a pain.  Good luck.

IP Logged

BeeMan
No Posts Yet

C170B

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 5:50am
Print Post  
AK2711C,

Thanks! I've had the same thought about switching out the entire tailwheel assembly and going with an Aero 3000 tail ski or a Burl's tail ski. Might set me back enough I don't get 'er done this winter (unless Santa is particularly good to me).

Bill

IP Logged

akhunt
No Posts Yet

'51 PA18/'75 C180J

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Beeman,
Precision Plus at Birchwood had a few tailskis for fat tailwheel made up.  Call them and see if he has any left.

I swap mine out at the head every year FWIW.
Clean, easy, keeps my expensive tw out of the slop.

Good luck

IP Logged

BeeMan
No Posts Yet

C170B

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I wound up going with a Landes dish and picked up a spare Scott 3200 so I can just disconnect the steering chains and drop the main spring bolt as mentioned above. Easy to swap out and saves the weight and drag of the wheel for ski ops.

Should be on skis soon,
Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top